Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Such unique little people...

They sleep... Brian is out late every night this week for work stuff, so I'm running solo this week.  Thank you, Lord, for being with me every step of the way!

As I nursed Kolby before bed tonight, I couldn't help but to wonder what kind of little person he's going to grow into.  Because Brian is gone, I've done all the normal routines yesterday and today alone, so I've gotten a bit more of the kids and their personalities than usual.  This is so apparent because it is at bedtime-- when they're tired-- that their unique personalities come out.

Roman went down first tonight because he hadn't napped today.  Roman is into everything, never stopping; yet, somehow, in the midst of the going, he's totally laidback.  Everything seems to roll right off his back.  It could be that he's a boy, and that's how he's wired.  Because compared to the girls, who hold tightly to their emotions before getting over something, Roman is pretty quick to resolve whatever feeling he may be having at that moment. 
For example, he didn't want to get a bath after dinner tonight.  He told me at least three times at dinner, "The sun came up.  I don't wanna' bath."  Roman tells me "the sun came up" more times each day than I can count... that's his way of saying he doesn't think he should be in bed.  However, when he got up from the table, even though he was still verbally protesting, he ran straight to the bathroom and began disrobing.  Then the bath was relatively easy, because when Roman cries that something bothers him in the tub (like getting his hair rinsed), I can simply say, "It doesn't hurt, it's fun!"  And he promptly replies, "It's fun?"  And no more fussing.  It's really usually that simply with him.
After the bath came jammies and a story.  He cried for a minute that he wasn't sleepy, as he rubbed his eyes.  But he told me he didn't want me to sing, he just wanted in his bed.  Hmmmm.... not sleepy? 

One down, three to go.

I went to nurse Kolby and that's when I began thinking about each of the kids.  Kolby has started watching me while he nurses, and he often smiles, which makes him unlatch and milk spill down his chin.  It's so stinkin' cute I can't stand it, especially since he's the last one I'll get to nurse.  Anyhow, I asked him tonight while he was eating what he was going to be like and he just grinned like he knew something I didn't.  The girls are so different in so many ways that I often wonder if (and sometimes hope that) Kolby and Roman will follow suit.  As much fun and exhausting as Roman can be, I love that the girls have such different personalities because they both add so much to our family.
Back to Kolby... he's so laid back and easy these days.  It seems he just takes it all in, all the activity, the noise, the chaos-- he just watches.  And when it's too quiet or calm, I think he doesn't know what to do, so he usually fusses.  He likes to be where the noise is.  But tonight, probably because Roman was already asleep, it was relatively quiet and instead of fussing, he just laid in his bed with his music.

Two down, two to go.

The girls were supposed to take care of their kitchen jobs while I got Kolby down (which is usually about 20-30 minutes.)  Of course, when I was finished feeding Kolby, they STILL hadn't gotten everything done, but they were having fun being silly, so I let it go.  They were pleading for some ice cream tonight, so I agreed that if they showered and did the bedtime routine quickly, we could all eat a bowl together.  The race was on.  It's amazing how quickly they are able to do things when they're working towards a purpose... isn't that the same for most of us?
It amazes me that these two little girls could be so different.  Most people think they resemble each other, and I don't completely disagree.  But with a closer look, you'll see they're not that much alike at all.  While Ella has long, straight hair, Ava's is short and curly.  While Ella is tall, strong and solid, Ava is shorter and more petite. 
And their personalities?  Well, they're as different as their hair and bodies, possibly more so.  Ella is a typical first-born; she seeks approval in most things and generally tries to do the right thing.  She prefers structure, she's very particular about things being a certain way, and she's almost a perfectionist.  She wakes ready to take on the day and has the most amazing smile-- she can light up a room with it. 
Ava is freer, preferring less structure and more creativity.  She is the most observant child I've ever met and tells the most amazing stories you'll ever hear.  And she likes to figure things out on her own... never really going with the crowd or caring what other people think.  Just hearing her laugh will make you laugh, and she's sweet and compassionate, too.
Because they are so different, and most of the things we do with them includes both girls, we often make goals where both of them have to accomplish it to get the reward.  For example, tonight they both had to be finished with bedtime routines and kitchen jobs by 7:45 in order to get the ice cream.  Ella is generally the one who watches the clock and completes the tasks quickly.  Ava, on the otherhand, is much freer and enjoys observing the world around herself a bit more.  Thus, it's usually Ella chiding Ava to hurry up so they get the reward.  Tonight, surprisingly enough, it was Ava who was out of the shower first and ready to go.  Ella soon followed and we shared a relaxing treat of ice cream before they headed off to bed.

Four down....

Lord, please let them all sleep soundly tonight.  And thank you for each of these precious children and their unique personalities.  They each add so much to our family, and I know the world will be a different place because each of them are in it.  Thank you for choosing me to be their mom... give me strength and wisdom to guide them toward You.  In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment